The Information and Technology Department of the Eternal University was established in the year 2007. As in our fast growing world of technology, IT became a commodity the same way as electricity did. We believe that it’s the software, hardware or technologies that will make the difference, the way how we design, implement, maintain and use it. The technology is a way to create a stable, reliable and secure IT infrastructure to meet all our business and technical needs. Cost reductions, flexibility and future scalability are the key words in every project we are involved with.
- To develop an Open Source LMS (Learning Management System) platform.
- A learning management system (LMS) is a software application used to deliver and manage instructional content, and typically handles student registration, online course administration, tracking, and assessment of student work.
- To make available LMS 24 hours of teacher’s lectures, Notes, Books etc. to students and Staff.
- To identify progress towards learning and training goals.
- To deliver material for the students, conduct tests, assignments and manage record-keeping.
There are some Challenging issues that will be taken care of before deploying any LMS:
- Management should prepare a frame work for deployment and utilization of LMS.
- Faculties must have basic knowledge of computer.
- Faculties should have authentic data ready to put it online.
- A well designed course content that should be focused on curriculum is required.
In the year 2016, the top four LMSs by number of their installations were Blackboard, Moodle, Canvas and Google Classroom. To cope up with the new emerging technologies in education field, we also have developed an online E-Learning portal. To develop this portal we have used world class open source LMS technologies like Joomla, Moodle etc…
- Organized eLearning content in one location
Instead of having your eLearning content spread out over different hard drives and devices, you can store all of your eLearning materials at one location. This reduces the risk of losing important data and makes it easier to create your eLearning course. Every member of your eLearning team can also access the information.
- Provided unlimited access to eLearning materials
Once we uploaded our eLearning course materials onto the LMS and published them, the audience has unlimited access to the information they need. Even those who are on the go can login to the eLearning platform via their smartphones and tablets etc.
- Reduce Learning and Development costs
A Learning Management System gives us the power to completely do away with instructor travel costs, online training site rentals, and printed eLearning materials. Learners can carry out all of their training online, which means that we can save a sizable sum on Learning and Development budget.
- Quickly and conveniently expands eLearning courses
If we want to add additional online modules to our eLearning course in order to update information based on new trends, we can simply login to the Learning Management System and make the necessary modifications without redoing the entire eLearning course. All of the content is in one location, which allows you to change only the master eLearning course and then deploy it to all of our online learners.
Evidence of Success
Earlier in year 2012 we developed a web based eLearning portal in Joomla, basically it was a website in which we added customized notes, Video tutorial, reference Links of other websites etc. We delivered three professional training by using this web portal, but that was not an interactive platform for students, they can’t query their teachers for problems. The advance features like online test, discussion forums, chat sessions, Interactive virtual class rooms etc. were not available in that portal.
To overcome these problems we have adopted new technologies like Moodle LMS. The key features of this LMS are:
- Modern, easy to use interface
- Personalized Dashboard
- Collaborative tools and activities, Assignments
- Enable teachers to grade and give comments on uploaded files and assignments
- Chat allows participants to have a real-time synchronous discussion
- Multiple Choice questions A teacher asks a question and specifies a choice of multiple responses
- Database enables participants to create, maintain and search a bank of record entries
- Forum allows participants to have asynchronous discussions
- Glossary enables participants to create and maintain a list of definitions, like a dictionary
- Lessons for delivering content in flexible ways.
- Quiz allows the teacher to design and set quiz tests, which may be automatically marked and feedback and/or to correct answers shown
- Survey for gathering data from students to help teachers learn about their class and reflect on their own teaching.
University has own LMS that works on University LAN and can be accessed throughout the campus from the following Links:
The Following students of Eternal University has got Certification training under LMS:
Problems Encountered and Resource required
Lack of awareness
One of the major challenges of eLearning is that the employees or the learners are unaware of effectiveness of eLearning. They might feel that eLearning is not as effective as classroom training and that the trainees would miss the opportunity of face-to-face interaction.
Now, when the learner is onboard with the eLearning course, it is time that the content of the course needs to be focused on curriculum. A well designed course depends upon the content of the course. Most of the time, the content received from the client is unstructured and difficult to comprehend. You may receive content which does not contain enough information to be covered under a certain topic.